West Ham United Football Club
Originating back in 1895 as the Thames Ironworks FC, West ham have a huge history in the game, covered in silverware. Having won the European Cup winners’ cup in 1964, West ham went on to win the Fa cup 3 times, (1964, 1975 & 1980) and the Intertoto cup (1999)
The Hammers went on to make further history, playing in the last FA cup final to be held at the millennium Stadium. Widely considered as one of the best FA cup finals in the history of the game, West ham almost went on to beat the favourite, and the Champions league champions of the time, Liverpool to lift FA trophy. With the hammers, only being thwarted by an injury time equaliser.
- Nickname(s): The Hammers, The Irons, The Academy of Football
- Founded: 1895 as Thames Ironworks FC
- Ground: Boleyn Ground (Upton Park) (Capacity: 35,303)
- Current Manager: Sam Allardyce
- West Ham United Football Club is an association football club based in Upton Park, Newham, East London.
- The club have played home matches at the Boleyn Ground stadium since 1904.
- The club was founded in 1895 as the Thames Ironworks FC and reformed in 1900 as West Ham United Football Club. They initially competed in the Southern League and Western League before joining the full Football League in 1919 and subsequently enjoyed promotion to the top flight for the 1923 season.
- West Ham’s’ top goal scorer of all time is Vic Watson who scored 326 goals from 1920 to 1935
- 1992/93 – Join Premier League
- 1994/95 – Harry Redknapp replaces Billy Bonds as manager
- 2001/02 – Glenn Roeder becomes manager
- 2002/03 – Trevor Brooking installed as caretaker manager
- 2002/03 – Relegated from Barclaycard Premiership
- 2003/04 – Alan Pardew appointed manager
- 2004/05 – Promoted to Barclays Premiership via play-offs
- 2005/06 – Reach FA Cup final losing on penalties to Liverpool after 3-3 draw
- 2006/07 – An Icelandic consortium fronted by Eggert Magnusson buys the club
- 2006/07 – Alan Curbishley takes charge
- 2007/08 – Magnusson sells his stake in the club and Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson takes over as Chairman.
- 2008/09 – Curbishley resigns and is replaced by Gianfranco Zola.
- 2009/10 – David Sullivan and David Gold take ownership of the club, in January 2010. Zola was sacked and in May 2010, Avram Grant is appointed the club’s new manager.
- 2010/11 – Avram Grant appointed manager.
- 2011/ – Sam Allardyce appointed manager after Grant sacked.